Oh the things I could say.
I think we'll just start with the factual story of how we met.
Kate disagrees that this ever happened,
but trust me - scars like this run deep.
And contrary to her belief that you can't remember catastrophic events when you're part of it,
And here we go.
Summer after my fifth grade.
Old friend Garrett Shreeve was going to his fifth grade class orientation.
My brother and I went with him.
It just so happened that little pre-sixth grade Kate was there volunteering with her mom.
In my head I thought, "she looks nice and pretty."
The rest of the summer later - first day of sixth grade,
at the end of the day --- I see her, Kate - on my way to the buses.
I get home, tell Mitchell
"I saw that girl that I saw over the summer --- should I talk to her?!"
"Yeah, just do it."
Same place - on my way to the buses
"Ok, here I go"
It took so much courage.
I remember being so nervous.
Vomit comes to mind.
I caught up with her - tapped her shoulder - she turned around,
"Hi, I'm Max - I remember seeing you over the summer at my friends orientation at Sea Wind."
It was over, I did it.
Jaw dropped, heart stopped beating, "oh"
For two years.
I didn't talk to her for sixth, seventh, and somehow in eighth grade - we became friends.
What have I learned,
if Kate doesn't know you - she doesn't like you.
Ah, just kidding -- that was just for me.
Tonight, we celebrated Kate's 19th birthday.
Dinner at P.F. Chang's
Kilwin's icecream cake [compliments of Alexa] back at Kate's.
and word salad, everyone's new favorite game.
19 things about Kate:
1. She's a girl.
2. Aka Hermione Granger.
3. Aka Pam Beesly.
4. She likes not a lot of food.
5. She cries in movies.
6. She's going to be a kindergarten teacher.
7. She was mean to me in the sixth grade.
8. She used to play mermaids in the pool.
9. She still plays mermaids in the pool.
10. She sings Glee like it's nobody's business.
11. She mostly understands when I quote things.
12. I saw her wearing army pants and flip flops, so I bought army pants and flip flops.
13. Bears eat beets. Bears, beets, Battlestar Galactica.
14. Once we were on a kayak, and we just got off and floated down the river.
15. She hates Mario Kart [lame, right?]
16. Her favorite flavor is mint.
17. She's had the cops called on her for being a "mysterious vehicle" in my neighborhood, only once.
18. She's convinced the world will end 12/12/12, wait - that's Alexa.
19. One thing's for sure - shakes come and go, but friends are fuuurever.
[Please don't mind my elephant cheeks - wisdom teeth, anyone?]
Happy Birthday Kate.